Our Colonies in the War: No. 8 - Sierra Leone
Important harbour is possessed by Freetown, capital of Sierra Leone, on the west coast of Africa. Ceded to Britain by the native chiefs in 1788, the colony, which now includes a large hinterland protectorate, is some 27,925 square miles in extent with a population of 1,768,000. Among Sierra Leone's contributions to the war effort are diamonds, used in precision engineering, rubber, iron ore, and palm oil products.
Scenes in Freetown's harbour, and native market-place. Atlantic anti-submarine patrol and convoy work are carried out by aircraft of this naval air station in the bush; in charge is Commander C. Oliver Foley, O.B.E., R.N., formerly responsible for all survey work and aircraft moorings on Imperial Airways routes from Southampton to Singapore.